The Level 1 Scent Detection Course is a comprehensive introduction program to the methods and techniques used in the development of search and detector dogs for multiple purposes. These would include:
- Drug/Narcotics Detecion
- Bomb/Explosive/Weapons Detection
- Environment & Conservation Detection
- Illicit & Illegal Substance Detection
This 5-day program is designed for persons looking for a formal training in professional detector dog training across many sectors. This program does not focus on one specific area of detection (such as drug or explosive), instead it teaches the basic principles and processses oif how detector dogs are developed and deployed. This means that the course is suitable for anybody wanting to further develop their knowledge and skills in area of search & detection.
The course covers a diverse range of subjects including psychology and learning theory, olfactory capabilities, factors affecting scent, basic scent chemistry, reinforcement methods and protocols.
The program covers a diverse range of practical aspects including:
- Scent Detection Protocols & Procedures
- Modern Technology of Detector Dog Training
- Foundation Training (For pups & adults)
- Development of Attention & Motivation
- Correct Handler Techniques & Protocols
- Scent Identification & Indication Methods
- Adding Additional Target Odours
- Systematic Search Procedures
- Dealing with False Indication
- Problem Solving & Troubleshooting
Our training programs are designed for those persons that are looking for the best education in dog training and behaviour modification available. We have world-class facilities and use the most modern & effective training methods.
Course instructors include some of the world’s leading experts on dog behaviour, breeding and training. You will also learn directly from highly experienced Law Enforcement and detection agency trainers, ensuring you get real-time training, not just the theory!
There are no specific prerequisites required for this course. Any background you have in dog training or behaviour management will be of great benefit. Some basic pre-reading material will be provided prior to commencement.
If you would like to get further information about this training program, please contact us.
Upcoming dates for this course
4th-8th May 2020
The information above relates to our Level 1 Scent Detection Course. For those persons who have completed this program or have the equivalent relevant industry experience, we offer a range of more advanced and specialised training programs.
As with all our training programs, these courses can be designed and customised to meet agency/organisational requirements.
If you require further information about advanced or specialist training programs, please contact us to discuss your needs.
- Our expectation is that you speak, read and write English. If English is not your first language, we would require an IELTS score of a minimum of 6.5. If you are concerned about your English language competency, please contact us to discuss your options.
- Due to the highly practical nature of our courses, persons with significant physical disabilities may not be able to participate. We have had people in wheelchairs attend our courses, where they can observe and learn the material, but not necessarily participate in the practical activities.
- We reserve the right to cancel any course or refuse an application at our discretion.